12 November 2004

Minnesotans kicked off voter registration lists asking why

November 12, 2004

Maybe she made a mistake when she registered to vote while renewing her driver's license in 2002, but 25-year-old Alissa Doth doesn't think so.

When she went to vote in 2002, she wasn't on the roster. She had problems in 2003 and again this year.

``I made sure to verify that I was filling out the correct spot, the signature on the right-hand side of the form,'' said Doth. ``I verified with people at the county service center, and showed up to the polls and was not registered.''

Minnesota has same-day voter registration, so Doth was able to sign up to vote at her polling place. But she was angry.

``I called a bunch of friends and said, 'I'm a disenfranchised voter. I finally understand what that's like to be a disenfranchised voter,''' said Doth. ``And everyone's response was, 'But you got to vote, so why does it matter?' I kind of feel like yes I got to vote, but there still are plenty of people who maybe show up at the polls and maybe didn't have the proper ID, and wouldn't be able to vote.''

Read More >>

No comments: